THE MINISTRY FOR VETERANS AFFAIRS DISCUSSED THE ISSUES OF EECP ARRANGEMENT, PROVISION OF HOUSING FOR IDPS AND REINTEGRATION OF RESIDENTS FROM TOT
The Ministry for Veterans Affairs, Temporarily Occupied Territories and Internally Displaced Persons of Ukraine held an annual strategic meeting of the UNHCR SHELTER Cluster with the participation of Deputy Minister Ruslan Kalinin, Advisor to the Minister Artem Salikhov and representative of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees Pablo Mateu.
The participants of the meeting discussed the establishment of effective cooperation with the Ministry in 2019, as well as with representatives of civil-military administrations in the field.
The initial process of transferring the administrative functions to Ministry for Veterans Affairs was positively assessed.
Pablo Mateu noted the relevance of continuing operational humanitarian response.
Artem Salikhov confirmed the Ministry's transfer from the local response to a comprehensive solution to the needs of the "grey area". He spoke about the priority directions, in which the Ministry's operational activities are carried out. In particular:
- addressing the problems of the EECP, in particular the procedure for crossing the "contact line" by residents and humanitarian organizations;
- improvement of educational projects aimed at the large-scale involvement of youth from TOT in the national educational process, as a priority component of the reintegration of TOT residents;
- the urgency of solving problems related to medical care for the residents of the "grey area" and IDPs, as well as stabilization of medical care for the EECP;
- preparation for implementation of the World Bank project in Luhansk Oblast on development of regional transport and agricultural infrastructure;
- full involvement of NGO representatives in the project planning by the Ministry.
Deputy Minister Ruslan Kalinin spoke about relevant programs for IDPs:
- housing program "Affordable Housing" (70/30);
- pilot project on mortgage lending for IDP families at 3% per annum;
- development of a strategy on areas of compact settlement in cooperation with local administrations.
He noted the allocation of UAH 400 million from the State Budget in 2019 for the purchase of housing for IDPs.
Following the meeting, the parties thanked each other for their proactive position and assured of their readiness for further systematic cooperation.